Friday 21 November 2014

Rubies for lunch

Cartier c.1930  est £30,000-40,000

An aunt of mine took me to lunch where she told me that she was going to buy me a ruby ring, my birthstone, but then she found out how expensive that would be. I don't think anybody pays attention to birthstones any more. Maybe the market in colored gems is so strong, it isn't necessary or maybe it is even counterproductive. After all why restrict desire to only one of 12 gems stones? Still I have a soft spot for these once upon a time emblems of July. And at a Bonham's lunch for people who write about jewels, (Almost everyone else writes about fashion; I the lone representative of those who not only love the beauty and craftsmanship but believe jewels are or certainly can be works of art.) I saw some honeys--all of them early twentieth century delights.. Along with colored diamonds (and just plain white ones), emeralds and sapphires the price of rubies keeps heading higher. These are jewels for people with plenty of what's called disposable income. It is the color of the ones I illustrate here that is so sensational...Burmese red that is more like purple-pink. Pigeon blood rubies these are not. They will have to wait for another time.
1905 necklace estimate £30,000-50,000
 The necklace above with beautiful matched rubies, is remarkably delicate in feeling, especially the drops which seem to be dangling down with only the faintest support. And now for the ring my aunt might have bought for me all those years ago --it would have been a lot cheaper, too, even adjusted for changes in money value. It, and all the above, is being offered at auction in London on December 4. 
Art Deco (1930) £50,000--£80,000.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment